Boy Scouts of America 100 year aniversary

Boy Scout Troop ##

In Some District
Town, State

Frequently Asked Questions for Those New to Scouting

Q: What do I need to do to sign my child up for Scouting?

A: The easiest way to do this is to click on our "Join Scouting" link on the home page. Fill out the required fields and we will contact you as soon as possible to get you in touch with a Scout unit close to you.

Q: What costs are required to join Scouting?

A: Registration is $15. That's the only required expense. We have some scholarships available for those who need assistance in meeting registration & camping fees. Please see the Scout Master to apply.

Q: How do I get on the mailing list to receive updates about new Scouting events and programs?

A: The council's monthly eScouter Newsletter will give you news about upcoming events and programs. Also, this mailing list will allow us to send you immediate updates about cancellations, etc. Just click on the "eScouter Signup" link on the home page of our website and then follow the instructions on the screens that follow.

Q: I would like to start a Scouting program at my church or school. How do I do this?

A: Chartering a Scout unit requires an organization that can provide a place for Scouts to meet, adults willing to serve as leaders and a few other things. Start by contacting our Director of Field Service at 713-756-3371.

Q: Where is the Scout office located?

A: The Council’s Cockrell Scout Center is located at 2225 North Loop West (T.C. Jester and I-610) in Houston, Texas, 77008.

Q: I want to become a merit badge counselor. What do I have to do?

A: To become a merit badge counselor for the Scouts in your troop all you have to do is complete a BSA Adult Leader Application and submit it to the council office. No fees are required. Please note on the application that you are applying to become a merit badge instructor. No adult leader training is required.

Q: I am interested in a career in Scouting. Where can I find more information?

A: Visit for basic information about a career with the BSA.

Q: Do the Boy Scouts of America have any policy pertaining to people living with HIV/AIDS?

A: Local Scouting units and their chartered organizations traditionally determine their own membership, absent any legal constraints. Accordingly, units and chartered organizations should determine the feasibility, or desirability, of allowing youth or adult members who have, or are suspected of having, a life-threatening communicable disease to participate in Scouting activities.